market-farming - [Market-farming] Yellow jackets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Eliza Fletcher <eliza28 AT cpcinternet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Yellow jackets
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 13:49:41 -0700

The last two years, we've been chased out or our raspberry bushes by hordes (and I mean hordes!) of yellow jackets. Ordinarily, we can pick for 6+ weeks, but this year we were only able to pick for about 2 weeks before the bushes became too treacherous.
My husband has hunted high and low for nests with no success. We have many traps set, both the pheremone-type and large buckets of soapy water baited with apples. The traps work, in that they've successfully caught hundreds of yellow jackets, but still they come . . .
Does any one know a strategy for keeping yellow jackets out of the berry bushes?

Eliza Fletcher
Moscow, ID