market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] West Coast Tomato Weaving?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shelly <shelly AT idlethyme.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] West Coast Tomato Weaving?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:56:16 -0600

Okay, here is my version of the Florida weave....
place stakes between every two plants...so stake, tomato, tomato, stake. I placed t-posts at each end of 100' rows in the hugh tunnel. Then i placed my twine in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I cut a hole in the lid and ran the twine through a 3' length of PVC. Then tied the twine off to the t-post starting at about 8". Then weave one side of one tomato, the other side of the other then use the pvc as a lever and wrap all the way around the stake once tightly, then around one side of the tomato, the other side of the next tomato, then all the way around the stake once. Do this to the end of the row, then go tightly around the t-post at the end and start back down the row at the same height only weaving the opposite side of the tomatoes so they are held up between the strings. I did this about every 10 days to two weeks as the plants grew and it held them quit nicely. Let me know if this is not clear. Marie, send me your number off list and I will call you. I am not done farming, just a hiatus to heal. Thanks to all who encouraged me to stay on the list, it is a great way to keep my feet dirty so to speak!
Shelly Montgomery
Idle Thyme Farm (currently idle)