market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] parsnips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] parsnips
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 21:28:11 -0400

On Apr 28, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Ploughshare wrote:

Last yearwe dug our parsnips up about this time of year and they were
great. However, if we would keep them in the ground would they still be
good until about June? Would they grow more? Or are we better off digging
them up now and keeping them in the cooler until June?

Whoops -- I think I thought somebody who does more with parsnips than I do would answer this. Don't think anybody has, though.

If they're still in the ground, I'd harvest them fast. It's my understanding that as the tops grow, nutrients come back out of the roots for a while, flavor goes down and they get woody. Usually I try to dig mine as soon as I can get on the ground after it thaws in the spring.

You could leave a few till June and see what happens, in case I'm wrong.