market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] parsnips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ipa.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] parsnips
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 22:14:15 -0400 (EDT)

Some years ago Janet Bachman, a market gardener who also
used to work for both ATTRA and Rodale, had a long row
of parsnips that went to flower in June.

The flower stalks were 5-6 feet tall and made fantastic
insectaries for beneficial insects. The umbelliferae
are famous for attracting good bugs.

So I guess they have that biennial nature. You might
enjoy leaving some for those flowering stalks and
insect diversity.

I've since grown a few parsnips in my garden for
that flowering effect. I've also planted parsnip
roots from the grocery store, when I missed
getting plants established from seed "last" year.

Steve Diver