market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Head lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Head lettuce
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 13:14:03 -0500

We (Paul) cut the whole heads into produce baskets.  Then we (Alison) dunk the head into water in the earlier mentioned trash can, carefully supporting the head so it stays together.  Left from the water, shake gently – still supporting it – and pack into a 1 1/9 produce box.  We set the produce box on its side for packing so the heads are upright in it when we stack them upright.   A box will hold anywhere from 4-6 Romaine and looseleaf heads (huge!) to a dozen or more buttercrunch heads.  Then the boxes are tilted to drain as we continue to harvest.  Once harvest is finished, the boxes are put in a refrigerated cooler overnight.  We usually harvest after 6:00 PM in the summer – cooler then and mornings are already taken up by mesclun and cut flowers.  We charge 1.75 per head, year-round, regardless of size. A tip from Paul:  at the market, open the BOTTOM of the box and you will trash fewer leaves pulling heads out to display and sell.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm