market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] rural markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] rural markets
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 08:19:53 -0400

On Apr 23, 2007, at 8:00 PM, sora AT coldreams.com wrote:

Hey if I was going to have a farmers market where there were lots of
campers, hikers, bikers and canoeists. I would make the offerings ready to
eat. Such
as salad packages of all kinds. Add some variety like spinach, chicken,
ham, fish, etc etc, to the salads. Also sandwiches and some meals ready
to be
cooked or just heated.

Be sure to check with your local Health Department to see exactly what you
can legally sell. "ham, fish etc etc" in particular usually have strict
rules in order to prevent food borne diseases.

In New York State, at least (I don't know if it's federal or by-state), you need a processing license to sell "ready-to-eat" salads even if they're just greens. (This would make more sense if some of the recent food poisoning problems in ready-to-eat greens hadn't been in greens that were packed in legally licensed processing facilities. But I don't think Ag&Markets is listening to that argument.)

If you're selling fruit, vegetables including salad greens, etc., you're not supposed to tell anybody that they're ready to eat without washing (unless you do have a processors license and have washed and packed them in a certified kitchen): the assumption is that people will wash them when they get them home, before eating.

Of course, there's no way in practice to stop people eating strawberries, etc., unwashed, before they even get out of the market : )