market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Heating Cable

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Heating Cable
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:13:05 -0600

I have used heat cable both buried 2-4" deep in a hoop house and in germinating flats.  I had inherited a lot of cable that didn't require a separate thermostatic control...less expensive to set up but that also meant some clever tweaking and fiddling with a soil thermometer to determine the temperature range based on the distance between strands of wire laid switchback style under the soil.

With patience and careful observation, it works well.  I suspect that we seldom see it because it's fiddly in many ways......the cable, like all wire, becomes less effective the more it is coiled for storage, or pulled up to add soil amendments, and the trade off in initial cost must be off set by the skill of the grower.  Attention to detail counts.

Shawnee,

zone 5, although it feels like zone 2 all month.