market-farming - [Market-farming] Small Hoophouse construction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kevin Wilson <kevin.wilson100 AT shaw.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Small Hoophouse construction
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:31:19 -0800

From: "The Blankleys" <blankley AT core.com>
I am planning on making/ buying a smaller sized hoop house and am thinking
of a 12 X 24 ' size. I have a catalog from Charlie's Greenhouse out west
and
Farm Tek to consider. Do any of you have any suggestions on where to buy
or
what book to use to assemble my own? I would appreciate any comments and
thank you in advance. Georgene ( Farmer's Daughter's Organics) in Ohio

I built a 12' x 26' this year, an expanded version of a 12 x 20 I built a few years ago (reusing the old parts and adding some). I used 3/4" schedule 40 plumbing pipe for the hoops (21 ft lengths to give better height clearance in the middle), set on rebar stakes at each end of the hoop. You can see the ground frame (2x4 and 2x6 cedar), rebar stakes (with padding on top so they don't abrade the inside of the hoops) and hoops here:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kevinw1canada/album/576460762389548520

The finished hoophouse is here:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kevinw1canada/album/576460762389606508

Sorry, no intermediate construction pics, LMK if you want more detailed description. I have improved the holddowns for the rollup sides at intervals all winter as the storms rolled through, so it is now pretty darn solid.

Kevin
Fiddlers farm
Powell River, BC