market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Small Hoophouse construction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynn AT pcisys.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Small Hoophouse construction
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:13:45 -0700

I just want to mention one thing - maybe it's widely known and I just didn't know. When we were first building our 30x96 using 2" pvc for the hoops, I found out from the place we ordered the poly covering from that they won't warranty the poly if it touches PVC - in small print they wouldn't warranty it if it touched anything. The PVC will emit chloride gas and degrade the poly. So we painted the hoops.
We had a wind disaster with that first experience in 2000. Then in 2005, after getting divorced, I decided to rebuild the greenhouse with help from several neighbors. There was one hoop that we couldn't reuse and I had two lengths that were purchased at the same time and had been outside. I realized they hadn't been painted but thought that being outside all that time they had probably outgassed all they would and we didn't paint them first.
Well guess what... last fall we noticed a spot where the bottom layer of poly was breaking apart. As I started to panic and looked around the entire greenhouse I finally realized it was breaking directly above the hoop, it was the only hoop that had poly breaking and it was the hoop that hadn't been painted.

Good luck to y'all.
Marcy