market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sprinklers for beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kevin Wilson <kevin.wilson100 AT shaw.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sprinklers for beds
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:22:50 -0800

From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
I would appreciate suggestions for sprinklers or management please. I am on
a heavy silty/sandy loam, and my seedbeds just don't get fine enough to wick
moisture across the surface from drip tape. I think once the roots go down,

How long are your beds, Beth? I found the same thing when germinating lettuce, radish etc in the beds - it really needed a sprinkler. I used a cheap oscillating lawn sprinkler to give a rectangular area which covered 3-4 of my 4' x 20' beds at once. Sometimes from the end of a set of beds, sometimes on the path in between them.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kevinw1canada/album/576460762340193766/photo/294928803584104129/7

If your beds are much longer, maybe one of those lawn sprinklers that crawls along a hose on the path between beds would work? Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-1865-RAINTRAIN-Traveling-Sprinkler/dp/B00002N6AN

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
BrickLink Lego parts store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1