market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] walk in cooler

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm <rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] walk in cooler
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:05:30 -0400

Title: rootsfarm_signature
Has anyone any experience with/knowledge about converting/using an insulated 20' shipping container as a produce cooler?  I need to ship a number of large items from U.S. to Dominica and am wondering if it makes sense to purchase a used insulated container to ship in, then convert it here to propane (or solar???), sectioned into several different spaces that could be kept at different temperatures.

We are in the midst of our busiest season here.  Dry season to follow, then too wet, so despite year round work, annual farm income must largely be gained from about 4-5 months production.  At least that's what past weather experience has shown.  The changing weather pattern makes projections so much iffier than usual.

Thanks so much to all of you for all the wisdom and experience and even conjecture shared on the list.

All best wishes,

Karen

Karen Sutherland
Roots Farm
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs

Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm AT marpin.dm