market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Coleman: "We no longer dig the garden."

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT lobo.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Coleman: "We no longer dig the garden."
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:26:58 -0700

Well, I'm not confused. Inverting and pulverizing soil is what oxidizes
soil organic matter and upsets the soil structure. That is the kind of
tillage best avoided if possible. If anyone wants to call surface hoeing or
chisel plowing tillage, they can define it any way they want. I won't tell
others how they must define terms. When Eliot Coleman tells us he no longer
digs the garden, he tells us exactly what he means. Getting sidetracked
over definitions obscures the whole point about building and preserving
productive soil and cutting input costs. And if that's not the most
important thing, I'd like to know what is.

paul tradingpost AT lobo.net