market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Coleman: "We no longer dig the garden."

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Coleman: "We no longer dig the garden."
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 14:33:30 -0600

Paul wrote:

"As I said I haven't yet used the broadfork, but from what I've seen it's to loosen deep soil without inverting or mixing it, much like the chisel plow.That's not inverting and mixing, so far as I'm concerned that falls within
a definition of no-till. Inverting and mixing would certainly expose too much soil organic matter to oxidation; and that's what I call tillage."

At least it is now clear that what you keep defining as
no-till is really reduced tillage, which is a form of tillage
no matter which way you slice it.

It sure would help if you used common terms and
vocabulary in the tillage to no-tillage spectrum of
agricultural practices so readers understand what
you're talking about.
Steve Diver