market-farming - [Market-farming] Post-Harvest Handling of Fall Greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Post-Harvest Handling of Fall Greens
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:40:54 -0500

Folks!

As you can imagine, our fall garden this fall has received PLENTY of moisture. It's also never really been cold enough this fall to end the harvest of even crops as sensitive as chard. For this reason, for the first time in years, we've been delivering fall produce to metro buying clubs.

A glich I'm running into, however, is that produce seems to wilt faster after harvest in cold weather than it does in hot weather! Radishes are an excellent example. Harvested at 45 degrees and washed and placed in a warehouse bin, much as we would do when it's 90degrees in the garden, the radish tops have wilted horribly. Chard and beet tops follow a similar cycle. As does mesculn.

I'm wondering if I need to hydrate soft green tops after cold weather harvest to keep them turgid.

As you can imagine, we do not have a produce cooler and, in the regular growing season, never feel a need for it because we harvest and deliver within a couple of hours.

Any suggestions?

-Allan Balliett
Fresh and Local CSA
Shepherdstown WV