market-farming - [Market-farming] Value added & chickens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex McGregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Value added & chickens
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:36:55 -0500

Our Market (Battlefield Farmers Market) is in it's last weeks. The slower
pace gives us some leisure to talk and plan for next year. We have 2
questions that we can't find the answers for:

1. Does anyone know about any exemptions for small poultry processors? One
of the farmers at our market would like to sell chicken and said he had
heard that there was some kind of USDA or FDA exemption for small farmers
so they could sell without investing big bucks.

2. This is state specific for Georgia- Last year a bill failed to pass to
give farmers the ability to sell value added food without having a
certified kitchen. I've heard rumors that it was reintroduced. Does
anyone know what happened? I've talked to local legislators and the GA
Dept. of Ag. (bottom to top) and non one knows anything about this.

I would appreciate any references so we can print or quote as needed.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm