market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fall sales slump

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT lobo.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fall sales slump
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:23:33 -0600

They say even moisture for your tomatoes is the best insurance against
cracking. Mulch of course helps retain moisture and cuts irrigation costs.
But the basic factor for even moisture would be high levels of decomposing
organic matter. Finished compost or humus can hold 80% of its weight in
water an still drain well, according to the "experts". For wind and
temperature control about the only solution is greenhouse or hoophouse.
Where I am I wouldn't think of trying tomatoes again without wind
protection. As for pulling up all the drip for tilling, there is the
no-till alternative. It just might be more productive and profitable to
grow intensively with no-till cover crops and less area. ATTRA has good
research on techniques. After all, profit is gross minus expenses including
labor. We've seen a lot of farmers go broke on thousands of acres, and a
lot of smart farmers making a living on surprisingly little land. There's a
lot of information and research on no-till. But then, I favor the easy way.

paul tradingpost AT lobo.net