market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Charentais

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Charentais
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:19:55 -0400

I don't consider myself a 'successful' melon grower, but I have noticed
that melons don't all ripen at the same time. They seem to come in waves.
My first Charentais types are ripening now, but there are lots of small
(still growing) melons on the vines. And they seem to still be setting
fruit.

I picked my first Ma Cheri today; and was very disapponted. It was no
better than an average muskmelon. I did pick it at the right time,
though...it had fragrance and was an even greenish-gold. It was ripe right
to the skin. I've grow delicious Charentais types (a
French Orange melon from Burpee, I think) before, and this Ma Cheri wasn't
one! Looked and smelled great, but disappointing taste.

grew a wide variety of melons this year to pick one or two for commercial
growing next year. So far Sweet 'n Early (a netted muskmelon) is out, and
Ma Cheri, although very productive, is out.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA