market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peaches

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peaches
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:06:43 -0400

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:38:21 -0400, you wrote:

>My pears, on which I also used Surround, look pretty good, too, but aren't
>ripe yet. It rained the entire week the apples were in bloom, so they
>didn't get pollinated, and I only have a few pathetic apples this year...I
>also sprayed them, but they look awful. Maybe it's bugs, maybe they
>weren't properly pollinated. Anyway, I'd recommend trying Surround...it's
>isn't very expensive, and may finally be a good solution for bug-free
>organic fruit.

I'm glad your pears and peaches did well!

I also read - on a fruit-growers list - (NAFEX - North American Fruit
Explorers) that many apple growers are now using plastic bags on their
apples. When each apple starts to develop, they 'bag it' - with a
Ziploc-style bag large enough to hold the full-grown apple, fastening it
around the twig with string (I think), and clipping a small hole in each
bottom corner for water to escape. They leave the bags on even after the
apple is picked and in storage.

They are reporting wonderful results, strange as this practice seems. No
insect damage at all.

Pat

Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/