market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] compost applications

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] compost applications
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:09:16 -0400

On Aug 14, 2006, at 8:49 AM, Goodwill at Homefields Farm wrote:

we are planning to apply compost this fall:

a) should it go on before the cover crop is seeded (oats and rye) or
once the cover is established?

b) how much to apply per acre as a "tonic" (no serious deficiencies
known, just want to boost the biology)

c) our supplier steam-sterilizes the mushroom compost--no weed seeds,
but is it "dead"?

Thanks,

Scott

You might want to check what else could be in it. Organic certification standards say mushroom compost "must be from certified organically grown mushroom production systems or be produced in a manner that prevents contamination with prohibited substances". There's apparently still concern about materials used in mushroom production that can then be found in the compost. I don't know whether any of the items of concern could also be an issue for non-organic growers -- can't remember whether the issue was heavy metals, pesticides, or both. Might not be a problem for you; but you might want to check it out before applying.