market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Williams cult, basket weeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Paul Bucciaglia <pbucciaglia AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Williams cult, basket weeders
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 04:28:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi John,

Need for a bed shaper depends on your soil type and the condition of your soil after your last tillage pass.  If you have heavy, clay soil that drains poorly and you live in a high rainfall area, a bed or raised bed will help with drainage.  I farm a sand pit so the last thing I want is more drainage.  If your last tillage pass leaves a bed that is not level you will want to rethink your tillage system or go with a bed maker.  One thing I didn't mention about the basket weeder is that optimal performance of this tool requires a dead flat bed.  In my soil I can get away with plowing, disking with a drag, and cutting beds with a basket weeder (all baskets pushed together)-- but it is not great.  So we have turned more to spading w/an old used Imants spader I picked up.  It has its down sides but it does leave a dead flat bed that does not require any bed forming.  I still end up plowig some acreage every year and I do have a used Lesche bed maker (ala market farm) but I've never been thrilled with the results--others do like them, I suspect they have heavier soil.

Paul
Fort Hill Farm
New Milford, CT

Message: 5