market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Help! Onion pricing?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Help! Onion pricing?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 19:53:41 -0400

On Aug 3, 2006, at 12:04 PM, tonitime AT juno.com wrote:

Greetings, Growers!
I am needing some help as to pricing our boiler-sized Multiplying
onions - thinking to sell by the quart? Can anyone advise me on price?
Even the extension agents can't assist with this around here.
Thanks a lot,
Toni

I'm getting 2.25 a quart for cooking onions, various sizes. Some of them are boiling size, some larger; I sort them roughly by size, as some customers like the little ones and some the big ones.

Does no one else in your area sell onions at market? If so, look at their prices and quality. You could also check the grocery stores, probably needing to adjust price per pound into price per quart (weigh a few of your quarts). Then figure out whether the multipliers are taking you more or less time than regular cooking onions and adjust accordingly (as well as for quality differences).