market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fava Beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fava Beans
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:39:19 -0500

Yes. The ends of some of the leaves are black. Some of the old flower stalks seem to be empty. Favas seem to be tough to grow.

Marty Kraft
On Jun 18, 2006, at 5:47 PM, Allan Balliett wrote:

I put some fava beans in for the first time this spring. It is turning
hot here and I have no beans. I have had frowers. When do these things
grow beans?

Right after the flowers. Check the base of the flowers and see if
there are beans there. As I'm sure you know already: favas are as
much a cool weather producer as peas are. you may have missed them
this year. Howabout black spot and other fungal issues? Do you have
them yet? -Allan