market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce display & Hoophouse query

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <wiediger AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce display & Hoophouse query
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 06:18:38 -0500

Toni,

I don't know about Eastern Kentucky, but here in South Central, the ONLY variety that will grow in summer is a romaine called Jericho.  Others are grown, and we have tried them all over time ( in shade, watering every day, even in float beds), but they get bitter before  they get large enough to sell.  Jericho doesn't.  It will hold about 2 weeks without bolting after reaching full size, so we transplant every two weeks or so.  Our mesclun is ready 17 days from seeding, so we plant every Monday all summer.  By 21 days, it is often bolting.

We are trialing 2 others this summer, one of which is a buttercrunch, also Israeli.  We'll report on it later.

Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com