market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:53:03 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Willie McKemie" <mf AT austinfarm.org>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:00 AM

You're saying that freeze damaged buds will bloom, but will have a dead berry inside? Maybe that's what's happening, although many are green and look alive, but aren't making berries - at least not yet. The two varieties I have are Apache (ripens late June early July) and Arapaho (ripens late May early June). Larry seemed to think these varieties would do ok in my area. Maybe I'm just seeing freeze damage. It did get down to the single digits a couple of times. Or...., could it be I'm not watering enough or maybe too much? What happens with watering incorrectly?

Thanks for the help.

TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
West Texas Zone 7b

I haven't seen anything like that. Nor have I seen berries that bloom
that late. We are now at the peak of our harvest; as I recall, we were
blooming in March. You are only a couple of hundred miles away? I
would have expected you to bloom by April. Remind me what varieties
you have? Probably, those varieties are just not going to work in your
area.

I'm not aware of the mechanism of berry pollination; they don't seem to
attract insects during bloom. Berries are evident as soon as the
flower opens; even before, if you peel a bud open.

One can evaluate freeze damage before bloom by opening buds; dead buds
will have black rather than green tiny berries inside. Freeze killed
buds will open and look normal, except the centers will contain the
black dead berries.