market-farming - [Market-farming] disappearing onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] disappearing onions
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 21:14:22 -0400

I think it was this list that someone posted problems with onions sets
moving and disappearing. Thought this post from Vermont's Reports from the
Field would interest:

(Argyle NY) It has been an interesting month with our earthworm episodes. In
previous years, the earthworms were eating most of the pea seeds we planted,
and this year, we re-planted hundreds of feet of onion plants 4 times
because of them! They were fascinating to watch after dark as they reached
up, grabbed onto the onion leaves and sucked them into their holes! We
finally spread a bunch of soybean meal to appease them for a few days giving
the onions a chance to root in well enough...

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com