market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Basil packaging

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Basil packaging
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:41:25 -0600

WE have tried a little of everything - masses heaped and sold by the
pound, prepackaged several ounce pkgs, bunches. What sells for us is 1
ounce of tips in a ziplock bag for 1.00 - usually about a pound or so on
a Sat morning. Obviously, our customers aren't making pesto! It
TOTALLY depends on your market. Cilantro sells by the bunch -
year-round. Try several ways (or look at how others in your market are
selling it successfully) and use what works. And, have a plan for
keeping it fresh looking in the heat!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm