market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lori Sands" <tchfrch AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Basil
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 05:47:28 -0400

What kinds of basil have you been able to market well? I'm amazed at how many varieties there are, and I'm wondering how many people actually buy the exotic ones?

Thanks,
Sonia

I have found that plain old generic basil sells the best in my markets--- most customers want to buy lots to make pesto so I sell it in large bunches. Italian Large Leaf is nice.

We do, however, also make up smaller mixed bunches of regular basil along with purple and either lemon or lime basil. I don't sell a lot but they are pretty on the table and a good conversation-starter.
I used to grow all of the exotic basils but they weren't earning their keep in terms of space, so now its only 20 plants or less of the exotic varietes.

(and nobody liked the Cinnamon basil--- but we grow about 60 plants for tea and bouquets.)

Lori Sands
western PA