market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] transplanting asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: stinknrose AT asparagusgardener.com
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] transplanting asparagus
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:56:47 -0700

Roxann:

The roots system on asparagus plants that old will be extensive and
spread-out. Most asparagus farms won't sell them even at 3 years old
because the roots are damaged when they are dig up. You could try
digging one asp plant and see if you can get it out with out too much
damage. As you dig moisten the soil and follow the path of the root.

Asparagus are usually planted 12 to 18 inches a part. Weeding out
weeker thinner asp plants and weeds should increase your harvest and
the qualitity of the spears. There are basically three things that make
the spears usually thin: competing with weeds other over-populated asp:
lack of composted (aged) fertilizer: planted to shallow.
Once you have the patch weed free and thinned out put down some mulch
and that will cut down on weed maintance. It sounds like a variety of
asp (Martha Washingtion) that are re-seeding themselves and that ok.
However they must be thinned out from time to time or they will become
poor producers.

There is no hard and fast rule with asp. In other words there are many
solutions to the same problem. Just figure out what is easiest and best
for you. You can transplant now or in the fall. I have done both and
have had no problems. If you want to move them dig easy, moisten the
soil and try one asp plant and hope for the best.

There's just a small note of fertilizer. I make Composted Tea and our
asp has become more productive and the roots more developed giving us
usually great harvest. We make it our selves and apply it to the roots
system. Let me know if you want the reciepe

Rose Hembrook

StinknRose AT asparagusgardener.com