market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] goats/chicken - Premier fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] goats/chicken - Premier fencing
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:35:48 -0600

Re: Premier fencing for goats - I use the 4 ft Electrashock net fencing, but not frequently.  It does tend to sag alot between stakes.

When I worked at the Heifer International ranch, we used this Electrashock goat fencing for herd of 50 goats & sheep and two Scotch Highland cows with horns - calf got tangled in it one day, but we could repair it.  We moved it every few days for intensive grazing.

I do use the Premier Poultry net fencing for my rare ducks (Silver Appleyards), though I have a Great Pyrenees as "back up" since in a storm, the sections of this fencing have blown over enough to start sparking where hot wire touches ground.

Also, it takes a lot of mowing in Mississippi in the summer, to keep grass from touching the first hot wire.  In winter, the on/off button on the charger unit freezes and I have to gingerly undo the hot and ground wires, rather than use the bottom (nerve wracking, since I am not at ease with electricity!)
 Have no idea if the fencing or the dog are what have kept fatalities to zero (lost ALOT of ducks before the two, which were put in place simultaneously).  These ducks don't fly and they trained to the fencing immediately.
I am using their solar battery.

nan at dancing goats farm, n. mississippi  zone 7b