market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] leeks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] leeks
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:29:09 -0600

Leek flowers, like all the allium family, make great cut flowers.  If the flower stalk is hollow and won't stay submerged, use a needle to put a small hole two or three inches below the flower head; this allows the stalk to fill with water.   Garlic chives also make beautiful cut flowers. ( Sometimes I have used the entire plant, with roots well washed, in arrangements.  Also as a Bloody Mary garnish!)

As Dorene suggested, save the seed too, but dry it well and store very cold/airtight.  Allium seed can be short lived.  I would also allow some seed to remain in the ground over winter.  You may get lucky and have it germinate in the spring.  I frequently do this with lettuce which gives me the very earliest crop of lettuce possible.  (Yes, lettuce is gorgeous as a cut flower too.  Nobody can guess what it is. )

Shawnee, zone 5 more or less