market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] leeks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alliums" <garlicgrower AT green-logic.com>
  • To: <quiltingsue AT earthlink.net>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] leeks
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:11:48 -0500

Sue Wells wrote:

<<Last year I left quite a few leeks in the ground, will these do the same
as onions and regrow? I am in Vermont, there are green parts to them now as
there has been off and on all winter. >>

Good leeks should be a food source for the winter into the early spring
(unlike those very strange "salad leeks that can't overwinter which are
grown in CA -- as I've said many times before, my Welsh ancestry just can't
see the point of a leek that won't last the winter!).

However, leeks are biannuals and once spring really gets going, they will
put all of their energies into producing a flower stalk. Pollinators LOVE
leek flowers and 2 or 3 leeks will give you plenty of seed for the next
year, although you can let as many go as you like to keep the pollinators
happy and might even be able to use some as cut flowers (ask others about
this -- I see leeks as a food and seed crop).

If you need the leeks as food, eat them soon. If you need to bump up your
pollination, let some go to flower. If you really liked those leeks, might
as well let a few go to seed.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of