market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Looking for a decent french filet bean variety

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Looking for a decent french filet bean variety
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:34:14 -0500

On Feb 24, 2006, at 8:46 AM, Sam White wrote:

Hi Folks,

For a couple seasons, I planted the french filet
variety "Cheri"(spelling?) from Johnny's. This
variety was far superior to Maxibel for me.

Does anyone know where I can find that variety again?

Has anyone had any luck with a better variety than
Maxibel?

Sorry for very belated answer.

The best filet bean I know of, both for flavor and for ability to hold on the plant (daily harvest not required) is Burpee's La France. I have trialed Maxibel and lots of others, but the only filet I've ever run into that was as good as La France was Finaud, which Cooks' Garden used to carry years ago but hasn't had in years. Finaud was so similar to La France that I suspect they may be the same bean under different names.

  • Re: [Market-farming] Looking for a decent french filet bean variety, road's end farm, 03/18/2006