market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Walking onion sets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming-request AT lists.ibiblio.org, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Walking onion sets
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:28:17 -0500

This sounds to me like voles. They do pull plant material down into
their holes. Catch them with mouse traps baited with (so-called)
strawberry-flavour bubble gum. Or try peanut butter. Good luck.

Sometimes the clusters are actually formed by the tops of the
> onions being pulled into (apparently!) holes about the size of an
> earthworm hole. The greens most definitely fill the holes, so it's
> impossible for me to understand what could be pulling THREE sets by
> their tops simultaenously into the ground without indication of where
> that 'something' is getting back into the ground after setting up the
> sets for 'pulling.'
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, Virginia