market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] storage
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:28:33 -0500

we had great results storing our potatoes in a fridge not buried in the ground but sitting in an unheated barn this winter.

lucy

Jay Atkerson wrote:

storage
I seem to remember a recent post describing the burying of a shipping
container or trailer for use as a root cellar. I can't seem to find it.
If you are out there please repost. Thanks.
Several years ago I read where a guy in Missouri salvaged old refrigerators
and buried them in a hillside with the door up. He then put a tarp over the
door and stacked bales of straw on the tarp. He claimed to get three or four
years of root cellar use before the metal rusted away.