market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest Deer Deterrent

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <strawbry_wine AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest Deer Deterrent
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 05:37:27 -0800 (PST)

We're not talking protecting a garden here, it's a
crop area of 4 acres (eventually to be enlarged). We
do have dogs, 2 Aussies and an Aussie mix and despite
their presence at various times in the pastures the
deer just flip 'em off. For that solution to work the
dog must be pastured. As far as enough food keeping
the deer away--they have abundant hay fields, corn
plots & acorn-saturated woods in which to feed but
they can't resist blueberries or sweet tasting bushes
with the sap rising due to warm temps (that doesn't
include this morning!! it's 9 degrees here!!).
They're just eating cuz it tastes good.

So far our "cougar" is working!! Now that we've had
alot of snow & the horses are staying out of the
blueberries (you should see them steer a wide berth
around them!!) I see no deer footprints. Fingers
crossed this keeps working...

Liz Pike
Hillville VA