market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] growing blueberries under partial cover

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <strawbry_wine AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] growing blueberries under partial cover
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:12:09 -0800 (PST)

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the input. I'm not wanting to winter the
bushes under cover. I just want to use a temporary
tunnel mostly for the other reasons I stated. However
I would like to play with season extension towards the
fall months of late bearing varieties. Up here in the
mountains playing with season extension in the spring
is like playing Russian roulette..I'd rather have them
come in naturally on the spring end not to mention
fall season extension isn't as costly or labor
intensive as spring season extension.

I've only found anecdotal comment so far of growers
who've grown blueberries under cover but no real
concrete evidence. One grower I've heard about uses
this technique on a large scale in his cherry orchard
and he mentioned experimenting on his 2/3 acre of
blueberries. I've got a few more inquiries out so
I'll post here whatever I find out. Right now all I do
know is that as soon as folks hear we're doing organic
blueberries they want 'em! If we could supply all the
markets that have expressed an interest I could retire
; )))

Liz Pike
Joe Rotenberry
Hillsville VA