market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Wendy & Randy Gray <hoemangray AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:00:39 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

And, our meat vendor uses a solar powered freezer...its a great attention
getter too!

Here, eggs just need to be in a cooler and out of the sun, but do sell well.

Try a consignment booth - I help run ours at our market (that's how I got
started in flowers). We average about 10 small growers bringing things to
the booth. We sell it for them and keep 20% for the market. The farmers
must bring it prepackaged and priced, along with all the usual helpful
information (i.e. chemical free, free-range, etc.). We don't have a scale,
so 3 for $1 doesn't work for our group till! Some days we've paid for at
least 3 booth spaces with the consignment fees and the farmer doesn't even
have to be there! We even sold out one day last summer - that was great!
Our local customers now know to come early or they miss the great items. The
tourists like the items they can pick up and eat while they're shopping
(peaches, apples, etc.). The only thing we don't allow in the booth are
crafts or potted plants (need a nursery license). Otherwise, fruit, eggs,
herbs, produce are welcome.

Good luck,
Wendy in OR
Cutflowers For You