market-farming - [Market-farming] Fw: Decomposing Hay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Glenda" <aughinbaugh AT ccp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fw: Decomposing Hay
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:07:22 -0600

Elaine Ingram mentions in her Compost Foodweb CD about compost that will not
decompose because of the methods of management behind the components.
Might be worth your trouble to secure some of her materials from website
www.soilfoodweb.com.

Every six months I start a new compost pile. Old bales of hay are broken up and spread on the ground before animal and green manures are added. This year when spreading an eighteen month old compost pile, I found much of the hay in the pile had not decomposed. The pile had been turn over four times and its temperature was a good 160 degrees. Are some bales being treated with something that would stop them from decomposing?