market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sweet potato yields

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sweet potato yields
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:29:21 -0500

Hello John, You can expect around one half bushel per plant. The trouble
with growing sweet potatoes commercially is that 25% are under sized and 25%
are over sized like footballs both are culled as animal feed or sold by the
bin very cheap as deer bait in areas where that is legal. So you have to
plant a lot to get a marketable yield. I don't know how well they will grow
in your climate I think they would be a good candidate for growing in a
hoophouse, because its not the 4-5 month growing season you lack its the
high total degree days that make the yield that your missing.
Sweet potato is a major crop in my county in zone 7. All the best sweet
potato yields come from the very light low OM sandy soils, beach sand grows
the best sweet potatoes. They don't like a lot of nitrogen not more than 50
pounds total per acre which is why they like poor soil. They do need a lot
of P and K. Farmers grow their own sweet potato slips, in raised beds of
sand, they always use fresh sand every year to avoid disease... Goodluck..
Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.