market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sweet potato yields

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alliums" <garlicgrower AT green-logic.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sweet potato yields
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:46:25 -0500

Hi, Folks!

JOHN A HENDRICKSON wrote:

<<What can a northern grower expect in terms of yield per
100 feet? >>

I've found sweet potatoes are WAY weather-dependent at least here in
Southeastern PA. My best years have been drought ones -- all that heat and
sun with a little drip irrigation every day and I had HUGE Sweet potatoes
(one made 3 pies -- really!). If it's a cloudy, cool year, you're lucky if
you get anything.

If you can maintain your own vines year to year, the cost isn't that much,
but I'd consider sweet potatoes a "bonus" for CSA folks -- but it's a pretty
nice bonus if you're in a drought year and don't have much else to offer --
the heat that will curdle the pollen on tomatoes and peppers just inspires
sweet potatoes to grow, grow, grow!

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of