market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] High Tunnel Tomato Varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Christine & Marlin" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] High Tunnel Tomato Varieties
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:21:48 -0500

Also, I am wondering what other varieties folks have had good luck with in tunnels?  We are seeking varieties under 75 days that do not sacrifice flavor.  Thanks for your input.

I have been having really good results with the varieties “Red Sun” and “Daybreak”.  They are both vigorous determinate improved “Celebrity” types that benefit from some trellising in the high tunnel environment.  They tend to produce much of the crop in one big burp.  Last summer I knelt beside a row of Daybreaks planted at a two foot within row spacing and picked a bushel within arm’s reach of ½ to ¾ lb fruits with a few reaching 1 lb.

Marlin Burkholder