market-farming - [Market-farming] Greenhouse toms in container culture

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter <peter AT oldshawfarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Greenhouse toms in container culture
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:41:23 -0500

Do you have any idea of what the proportions of your container mix are? WIll it have enough punch to get you through the season.

Ok. Hope this replies to Allan's comment here. I am still not sure how to use this list. Or how to respond properly.

To try to answer Allan's question, I do not know the exact proportions. I am relying on some detailed discussions with my supplier, Carl Hammer at Vermont Compost Company, in whom I have great faith. Carl thinks the mix will have enough to get to the fourth truss, although this is also a new product for him. He recommended I use 60 quarts of mix per plant, which seemed excessive to me, but I am going to come close to following his recommendation. My spacing system is set up to get about 50 quarts of mix per plant. Carl and I both think I should get some tissue samples as I go along to see how the plants are doing. Of course, I can always find a way to fertilize if I get into trouble, but as I am sure you know, problems are always easier to solve up front.