market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Illiteracy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "william jones" <williamtgreat AT zcloud.net>
  • To: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Illiteracy
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:54:13 -0500

If it is good enough for Wal-Mart and Sam's it's good enough for me. Don't
take me too seriously. This is a metaphor, work with me. Those two stores
give samples out to any warm body. They do it for a reason---it works.

Give samples, not to many choices one or two at most.

I have honey. Numerous times a customer declared that they did not like
honey. My responses? " OK. Will you try mine? It's not like store honey. If
you don't like the sample just throw it in the trash can at the side of the
table." They try and buy. Not all but more than enough to make good sales.

I sample raw okra also, good response. Try Pan fried okra, a different
texture and flavor. Some like it fried crisp others soft. Me? Just fry me up
a big batch. How about boiled peanuts? Customers love them or hate them, no
in-between. I sample with the same offer if you don't like it throw it in
the trash. Half like them and half of these buy. Another sale $ and usually
a repeat sale the next week. FYI for non southerners, you shell the peanut
before eating. I have learned to listen for the accent and give
instructions.

The market is an experience for our customers. Let's make it fun and
enjoyable.

This email scanned for Viruses and Spam by ZCloud.net