market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 35, Issue 24

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 35, Issue 24
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:12:23 -0800 (PST)

>two vendors created problems, both using "cut throat practices".
> One selling everything at $1 a pound. Their excuse: l need to get rid of
> this ----. And I can't go up on my price because the customers expect the
> price I set. Each vendor was notified daily at the market opening as to
> the
> local grocery store prices and what the general consensus of prices for
> the
> day would be with the other vendors.
> Our market has consistantly had the same exact problem. Usually with
the cut-rate hobbyists looking down the nose at the regulars with
comments about how "some vendors just try to cheat the public". We've
tried communicating, changing rules, begging all with the same results.
What I've seen over the years though is that these folk are usually not
in it for the long run and the customers recognize this and understand
that those of us making our meager living this way need to be supported.
Very interested in everyone's solutions to this one......
Sora at Paradise Valley Organics Zone 4 where the world has melted
and glazed over in shimmering treacherous ice.

  • Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 35, Issue 24, sora, 12/21/2005