market-farming - [Market-farming] Winter walkways

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Errol Castens <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Winter walkways
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:43:59 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

The discussion of pathway weed suppression got me thinking about the
opposite, right-here-and-now, problem.

Because I've never gotten around to building a "real" walkway to our
outbuildings, we'd always worn out the grass and created a lot of mud in past
winters. Last December, I was inspired to lay sawmill slabs ($10 for a
16-foot trailer load) from our driveway to the barn. Very little work, very
little expense, good footing, no mud. When the grass started greening up
again, I moved the slabs.

I'll admit this is only practical where winter's main precipitation is rain,
not snow. And it does invite some "You might be a redneck if..." comparisons
when you saw up your sidewalk for firewood.

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi, where it's currently 34 degrees Fahrenheit

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

  • [Market-farming] Winter walkways, Errol Castens, 12/21/2005