market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bcs tractors and wood fired radiant heat for greenhouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "John Wages" <jwages AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bcs tractors and wood fired radiant heat for greenhouses
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:46:55 -0600

For our 25 acres (only a couple acres in cultivation), we have a BCS 946
with tiller, rotary plow, wood chipper, dozer blade, and sickle bar mower.
We're very happy with it. The rotary plow in particular is excellent for
breaking new ground and for making raised beds. You can also use it to dig
shallow drainage trenches, and so forth. We have the 34-in. tiller. In
retrospect, we could do as well with a smaller, lighter tiller or even a
smaller tractor than the 946. Wood chipper works great. Sickle bar mower
has been used more than anything else, mostly for cutting tall grass and
brush in a pasture.

We bought our BCS from Joel Dufour of Earth Tools in Frankfort, KY
(www.earthtoolsbcs.com, 502-484-3988). There could be no better service or
technical assistance than we've gotten from Joel.

A light tractor like this one doesn't have much traction, which is to me
the main problem. In our fine clay, if it's very dry or very wet (not
thatyou should ever try to work wet soil), the wheels spin. I had
envisioned using the BCS to move our chicken tractors or to drag posts from
the woods, but it's just not able to do it. Consequently, the dozer blade
is not very useful, although I hear other folks use it as a snowplow.
There are steel cage wheels available, but it's not worth the cost for us;
with the main applications being seed- and raised-bed preparation, the BCS
works great.

Be sure to check the air and gas filters (below the gas tank on the 946;
you have to remove the gas tank to get to the filters) often. I let them
go too long without cleaning, and then the carburetor had to be cleaned.
The manual has some guidelines, but it's probably a good idea to check the
filters once or even twice a season.

John Wages
Tupelo, MS

  • Re: [Market-farming] bcs tractors and wood fired radiant heat for greenhouses, John Wages, 12/15/2005