market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed saving

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed saving
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:37:36 -0500

On Dec 14, 2005, at 8:32 AM, Lucy Goodman wrote:

I don't do hydroponics but I do save seed.

Ditto, on a few varieties at least.

On tomatoes (which I think is what the question was), a variety given me by a neighbor which I know only as Mrs. Horst's Oxheart. Indeterminate plant, large fruit, some the classic oxheart shape and some round (Mrs. Horst said to save seed from some of both shapes). Flavor is fantastic. Production can be heavy. They are somewhat liable to cracking and blossom end rot; but I have a couple of customers who used to only buy Brandywine, and they now prefer Mrs. Horst's. These will sell even with some cracking to people who have once tasted them.

However: in my experience tomato flavor varies drastically with location. The best-flavored variety on one side of the hill may be bland grown even on the other side of the same hill if soil conditions/microclimate are different.