market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hydroponics

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <mcheselka AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hydroponics
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:47:03 -0800 (PST)

Here's a question for those of you in the know about hydroponics that I've always wondered about.

Where to do the plants get their organic (carbon based) matter?  Is this included in the solutions in the water, or do they rely on getting it out of the air (carbon dioxide)?

I have to admit I, too, have a bias against hydroponics.  I, for one, realize that it's becuase of my own lack of knowledge.  So thanks, Adriana, for the interesting info.  Of course your comments just create more questions in my head.  May I ask you some?  Sometimes people take my questioning the wrong way.  I want to assure you that these questions are just that -- not personal attacks.
For instance, you say: "We also use a fraction of the fertilizers of conventional farmers and we do not leach any excess nutrients (be they chemical or organic) into  the ground water."  Does this mean that the plants eventually take up all the fertilizers?  When you change out your water (which I understand needs to be done fairly often) where does the "used" water go?

You also say: "we typically use less than 20% of the water which is required in field culture."  How would you say use of water in hydroponics compares to drip irrigation for field crops?  From my own experience I'd estimate that drip irrigation uses about the same amount as hydroponic.

Another thing you say is: "A "humus-intensive" greenhouse can be just as susceptible to insects and other diseases strictly by virtue of the high plant density and very healthy plants in a greenhouse gives bugs an "all-you-can eat buffet"."  I've always been under the impression that very healthy plants aren't very tasty to insects and they tend to leave those along and instead go for the sick, unhappy plants.  Is this a farming myth?  If insects are so keen on eating hydroponic crops, doesn't that mean that these crops are sick and unhappy?

I agree with you when you mention pros and cons and different methods of growing veggies.  But I don't think that this is a debate like which color is better, red or green.  Plants (and life in general) are very resilient and will grow in virtually all circumstances -- because that's all they know to do!  I, for one, firmly believe that there is an optimal way to grow veggies.  For me the jury is still out in terms of what that optimal way is.  The plants and nature will eventually tell us, though.  The fact that hydroponics is apparently so much more labor intensive than dirt farming makes me think that it might not be optimal.  I just dunno.

As I said above Adriana, thanks for the info.  It sounds like you have a very successful operation.  May you and your plants stay happy.

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce