market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] football games vs. farmers' market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] football games vs. farmers' market
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:29:20 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:49:53 -0600 (GMT-06:00), Errol Castens wrote:

> Our 5-year-old, Saturday-morning, producers-only market
> in Oxford, Mississippi, gets hammered whenever the University
> of Mississippi holds a home football game, unless it's a night game

<<BIG SNIP>>

> <snip> Other than move to another location, what
> can some of y'all in college towns suggest that we
> do to make home games work for us instead of
> against us next year?

Errol,

This is a perfect situation to employ radio
advertising before the game as a way to
reach many of those 50,000 coming into
your town.

Check with the stations that broadcast the
games locally and the UM radio station to
see about rates and program/programming
availability.

Rates before the game should be affordable
since advertising the market would need to
stop at least an hour before kickoff to allow
game visitors time to head for the stadium, park
find their seats etc. The time slots may be
limited in terms of the numbers of spots sold.

The UM athletic department probably knows
its schedule for the next two years so ask for
some help there to plan the market dates that
fall on game days.

Lastly, some farmers might want to promote
the market by making "FREE SAMPLE" forays
into the tailgate party madness at the stadium
before the game - - handing out samples, market
promoting cards and redeemable coupons to
party goers.

HTH

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming