market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Are Organic Hydroponic Greenhouses Environmentally Sustainable

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Are Organic Hydroponic Greenhouses Environmentally Sustainable
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:01:53 -0700

The typical hydroponic greenhouse is a monoculture where no disease or pests
can be allowed to get started. Yet it doesn't get the benefit of soil
microorganisms that produce natural antibiotics and enzymes that repel pests
or minimise the plant smell that attracts them. Growers have no alternative
but to drench hydroponic plants in fungicides and pesticides. This also
makes them high maintenance and labor intensive. A more sustainable
alternative is humus- intensive beds, and they can be in a greenhouse that
opens in mild weather or just outdoors with some form of weather protection.
Humus-intensive has long been demonstrated to be the way to grow the most and
healthiest produce in the least space with the least water and least ongoing
energy input.

paul, tradingpost AT riseup.net
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Soilmakers/
The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933